Wednesday, September 8, 2010

BBQ Ribs

Once again I find myself in a narcotic induced haze recalling the better times of last weekend and where/why/how it all went so wrong.
Weeks earlier MacGyver had put out the word that Labor Day Friday would be a night ride and the response seemed to be positive. Despite fears of retribution from the Mayor, (you can equate this next move to a Hells Angel deciding to ride with the Mongols or a Crip hanging with a Blood), I set out for our cross town rival, Bicycle Depot to see what was in the cards. Since this would be a bandit ride the first order of business was to solve the mystery of the howling brake rotor. A few minutes on the stand, some quick adjustments and a new set of pads and I was ready to rock the trails.
The nights objective was a climb over both sides of the ridge riding the carriage roads and hiking trails of Mohonk. The riding was fast and right as we dropped into the technical sections it was getting late enough to hit the lights. Up to this point everything was going smoothly and then the planks showed up. Never having been to the North Shore, my skills at riding the planks are right up there with Lindsay Lohan's ability to drive sober - non existent. Sure enough there were a couple of endos and a knee into the shifter before blood was finally drawn. With blood running down my leg and a cleat that wasn't releasing, the next few approaches to bridges and planks was on the timid side.
On the climb up the backside of the ridge in the dark I met my maker. A misstep on an hike-a-bike section and I was down on my ass but not before my ribcage broke my fall on the edge of a pointed boulder. Feeling like I had just taken a round house kick to the side I gazed at the passing stars as I tried to get my wits together and stand up. The final insult was when that loose cleat turned out to be far more terminal and the carbon sole cried uncle from the massive power generated from my quads (Sparticus look out)as it was torn from the bottom of the shoe.
Feeling like a one legged man at an ass kicking contest I cautiously made my way to the end of the trails and back to the shop before slugging down a couple of IPAs and heading for home to some Chinese food and Oxycontin. Now to rest up and see if I can heal in time for the Vermont 50.

No comments: