Thursday, December 25, 2008

2008 In Review - Year of the Snapped Wrist

It has come to that time of the year when old father time needs to have the Depends changed and we prepare for the crap filled Pampers of the New Year's baby. It is also the time that I like to reflect back on another year gone by and the adventures that will be ingrained in my mind (at least until Alzheimer's sets in). This year started out with a bang as I partied out of my 40’s and into the 50’s.
Suddenly there was the realization that I had perhaps reached, if not passed the apogee of the bell curve of life. I recall seeing a flash of bright light, thinking I had perhaps reached the end of the tunnel and an appointment with my maker. Turns out it was the flash of the camera catching me in a semi conscious moment of alcohol abuse.
The brighter note was the knowledge that no longer was I going head-to-head with the young turks of mountain biking, instead I was the young punk of the Master’s class. This also meant that it was time to shed the ENO cranks, single rear cog and rigid fork and go back to racing a fully geared bike with suspension, at least on the front end. For this I had the guys up at Independent Fabrication put together one kick ass Ti Lefty 29er. I was making sure I had every advantage available (short of a few rounds of EPO).
All of the training was getting to me but the results were coming in with podiums in the first two 100s. But there was something missing, that spark that got me into the sport, and it wasn’t until after the Mohican 100 that it came rushing at me like a hot kiss at the end of a wet fist – TEAM SEAGAL.
(Image lifted from Team Seagal's http://teamseagal.blogspot.com/)
No sooner had the first swig of PBR been poured and the googi berries sacrificed to the gods that I realized these guys had it hard wired for fun and like a future crackhead taking a first hit off the pipe, I was hooked. Born out of the loins of the Mohican 100 was the New East Coast Syndicate - and the new found incentive to ride in honor of the Grand Master Seagal spurring me on for the remainder of the season. Supplementing my training with late night sessions in the dojo I was fully prepared to take any beating that would come and was able to score podiums in the balance of the races. The season ended with two thirds a second and a fourth. Due to the scoring system of the NUE series this meant rather then third overall I ended up in fourth overall – I felt worse then this guy.

Working in the financial markets meant that the season essentially ended in September when the mother of all financial tsunamis hit the global markets. Work went from low stress 50 hour weeks to grueling 70 hour stints in the trenches. Despite all of this there was no stopping the New East Coast Syndicate from making it's international debut for Team Seagal at the Baja Epic. With the master himself riding shotgun I was able to dodge the bullets flying around Baja, survive the rabid canines and bring home the hardware finishing 1st in Master's and 6th overall.

Due to sudden unpredictable events (at least I still have a job for now) my race plans for the coming year have been put into total disarray with only the Singlespeed-a-Palooza and the Wilderness 101 confirmed. Certainly the highest priority is to meet the rest of Team Seagal and do one of the crazy events they are plugged into, perhaps Burning is in the cards! Stay tuned for the further adventures of the New East Coast Syndicate.

4 comments:

Casey Ryback said...

HOLY SHIT YOU NEED TO COME AND DO BURNIN'! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

No really, Steven would be very proud. I just watched "Out For Justice" where Gino Felino beats the shit out of a fat, slow William Forsythe, and it was very inspiring. No go read his book.

New East Coast Syndicate said...

Casey,
Was equally inspired by the same movie last night, got to love the deli scene....wrist snapping at it's finest! Keep me posted on Burnin' and I will see about getting there

Casey Ryback said...

Well, you should have until October to figure it out! And by that time, you should be able to read the book and watch all of his movies. However, it might be difficult to keep up with his rate of movie production, simply because he puts out up to 5 movies a year.

New East Coast Syndicate said...

doing all I can, I do have lustful eyes for Kelly LeBrock, does that count?